My family has dogs. Two of them. They are both very much part of the family, even Demon Dog. Everyone should experience the joys and responsibility of owning a pet at least once in his or her life.
My mermaid laughed when I told her I thought she should have a pet. She asked, “I don’t do windows, why do I need the responsibility of a pet?”
Well, because pets are loving and huggable and fun.
“And they require care and feeding,” she pointed out. She laughed and pointed at me again. “Besides, I’m a mermaid, hello?”
Pets offer companionship and love. My dogs are almost always close to one of us in the house. They hug by leaning into a good ear rub. They greet us when we come home.
“Have you seen the underwater creatures around here? Not many ears. And I’m always home.”
She was really resisting this idea to have a pet. I could find her a pet that was self-sufficient and pretty and had ears that could be rubbed. She rolled her eyes.
Then, I gave her this:
My mermaid squealed with delight. “My very own merpony?”
“I promise to take care of it and feed it and do all the work.”
Yeah, right. We parents know how that one will end.
If you’re checking, here are my ROW80 goals for the week:
- Finish the minutes for the PTA meeting and send them for approval. I haven’t even touched this one!
- The back garden beds are ready, so now I need to plant kale, spinach, and carrot seeds. Finished just before cold snap! 🙂
- Write as if I’m not a NaNoWriMo rebel this week. 😀 Training at work makes for long days and short evenings. Sigh.
- Make chicken soup and venison stew for the week. Chicken soup–check!
- Get back to 3 or more blogging posts a week. Check!